“We have exciting news, we have now revamped our test environments booking system (tebs) based on feedback from the hundreds of companies who provided feedback on tebs.”
Features list - tebs (test environment booking system) version 2.1 now integrated with Atlassian Bamboo (New) – leading automated code deployment tool.
- tebs is automatically updated with all Bamboo deployments/build version information on all test, development and pre-production environments.
- Full log file report of all Bamboo deployments to environments in tebs, available as a pdf.
- Full history of all upgrades to all environments available in real time in tebs, updated automatically by Bamboo.
- New environments automatically created in tebs, once code is deployed to it.
- Export information on environments to include booking information to an excel spreadsheet.
- Import into tebs from an excel spreadsheet of information on all environments.
- Single source of truth on build versions etc on all environments, no more confusion, no more guessing, instils confidence that you are testing your application on the correct code level which is one of the main reasons for so many software bugs.
- And many more features such as calendar view of environment bookings, data conversion, data encryption and desensitisation tool - converts up to 10,000 records in less than 90 seconds in dynamic memory. Data to be used for development and testing as due to data privacy/protection acts, it is illegal to test with sensitive data like customers real details for certain applications.
- tebs as a CMDB, also serves as a repository of all information on a Test Environment/Virtual Host Server, Desktop Computers, Laptops, Hand Held Devices etc to include Host Server Names, Hardware Type, Operating System, IP Address and Interfaces, Application Details etc.
- 7 Day free trial on signing up, monthly and annual subscription now available. Option to also install tebs on a local server (life time license with free updates).
“As a company TEM positions itself to build and implement software products, tools, a frame work to improve operations performance within an organisation, by focusing on automation, integration and process specifically as it relates to Test Environment Management, all as part of the DevOps software development methodology or process.”
ROI/Value for money
On average a support personnel could spend about 15 to 20 hours a week (depending on the actual number of active projects and number of environments in use) on capturing, tracking and updating build information on environments in a spreadsheet etc, which is 80 hours a month and 960 hours a year. Subscribing to tebs or purchasing the life time license with free yearly updates, negates this need to spend this amount of time on tracking what test environment is at which build level, a serious source of concern in most corporate organisations.
- On estimate 960 hours @ $50.00 = $48,000.00 spent only on tracking and updating build information on environments, tebs version 2.1 manages and captures all such information from Atlassian Bamboo in real time.
- According to Gartner, “The cost of fixing defects ranges from a low of approximately $70 (cost to fix a defect at the requirements phase) to a high of $14,000 (cost to fix a defect in production) Source
Other relevant stats
Up to 28% of the overall IT budget of an organisation based on studies put together by Capgemini and HP (2013) is spent on maintaining permanent Test or Development Environments. Source
“In the recent World Quality Report by Capgemini, 55 per cent of senior execs viewed their organizations as lacking the in-house skills to configure and manage test environments” Source